Thursday, February 6, 2020

Tenses in Combination


Present Simple & Continuous....  **** Present Perfect & Past Simple
                    Past Simple & Continuous >>><<< Past Continuous & Perfect

A.    Complete the sentences with the present continuous tense or the simple present tense of the verbs in brackets.

1.      It usually ___ (get) dark about 7 o’clock, but it ___ (get) dark now.

2.      On my way to school I usually ___ (meet) people who ___ (go) to work.

3.      My father ___ (have) a bath now. He usually ___ (have) his bath at this time.

4.      Henry always ___ (stay) home at night, but why ___ (he/go) out tonight?

5.      Can I borrow your pen? Or __ (you/use) it now?

6.      We ___ (cut) clothes with scissors and we ___ (chop) meat with a knife.

7.      I ___ (not/understand) what he ___ (say).

8.      I usually __ (drink) tea, but now I ___ (drink) coffee.

9.      Listen! Someone ___ (cry) for help.

10.    His father seldom ___ (watch) TV.


B.     Complete the sentences with the simple past form or the present perfect form of the   verbs in brackets.
Example:
I (start) writing the report yesterday, but I (not / finish) it yet.
I started writing the report yesterday, but I haven’t finished it yet.

1.      I (buy) some fish this morning, but I (not/cook) them yet.

2.      I (meet) John last Saturday, but since then I (not/see) him.

3.      My brother (be) here a minute ago, but he (go) out now.

4.      The sun (already / set) and the moon (just / come) out.

5.      I (post) the letter a week ago. I wonder why they (not / receive) it yet.

6.      He (break) his leg a year ago. It (heal) now, but he still limps when he walks.

7.      I (not / find) my watch yet although I (look) for it everywhere.

8.   The bag (cost) me Rp 100,000 when I (buy) it last year. The price (go) down now,    and you can get it  Rp 75,000.

9.      He (leave) the classroom five minutes ago, but he (not / return) till now.

10.   Mr. Hartono (buy) a car a week ago, but he (already / drive) more than a thousand     miles in it.

C.    Put the verbs in brackets in the simple past form or the past continuous form.
Example:
You (cross) the street when I (see) you.
You were crossing the street when I saw you.

1.      While he (weed) the garden, a snake (bite) him.

2.      As I (go) to school, I (see) someone robbing a woman.

3.      He (sprain) his ankle while he (play) football.

4.      I (take) a bath when the doorbell (ring).

5.      Just as he (come) out of the shop, he (meet) his aunt.

6.      As she (run) down the street, she (trip) over a brick.

7.      They (play) cards when the fire (break) out.

8.      (you / sleep) when I (call) you?

9.      I (drive) when one of the wheels (come) off.

10.   The driver (wash) the car when I (pass).


D.     Put the verbs in brackets in the simple past form or the past perfect form.
Example:
The manager (go) out when I (arrive).
The manager had gone out when I arrived.

1.      I (go) home after I (finish) my work.

2.      After he (write) the letter he (put) it into the envelope.

3.      Before it (start) to rain, I (reach) the station.

4.      He (say) that he (just / receive) a letter from his pen-pal.

5.      He (want) to know who (break) the vase.

6.      The bell (already / ring) when I (arrive).

7.      I (tell) them that I (cook) dinner for them.

8.      The victim (die) by the time the ambulance (arrive).

9.      They (say) that they (see) the film.

10.   The man (die) after he (be) ill for a long time.



3 comments: