Thursday, July 2, 2015

TO HAVE

To have

A.     Study these sentences. Pay special attention to the words in bold

1.    I have a new dictionary. (I have got a new dictionary. / I’ve got a new dictionary.)
2.    Mr. Green has a luxurious house. (Mr. Green has got a luxurious house.)
3.    I don’t have a pen. (I haven’t a pen. / I haven’t got a pen. / I have no pen.)


4.    She doesn’t have any brothers. (She hasn’t got any brothers. / She hasn’t any brothers / She          has no brothers.)
5.    Do you have a camera? (Have you a camera? / Have you got a camera?)
6.    Does he have a computer? (Has he a computer? / Has he got a computer?)
7.    Do they have any books? (Have they any books? / Have they got any books?)
8.    She usually has coffee for breakfast. (She usually drinks coffee for breakfast.)
9.    They are having lunch. (They are eating lunch.)
10.  I have a headache.

B.      Complete the sentences with the right forms of have.
Example:
Mr. Basuki ____ a new house.
Mr. Basuki has a new house.
Mr. Basuki has got a new house.

1.       Roni ___ a new CD player.
2.       Janet ___ one sister and two brothers.
3.       We ___ many friends in Makassar.
4.       Dr. Kartono ___ many patients.
5.       We ___ a large library at school.
6.       The house ___ small windows.
7.       The houses ___many bedrooms.
8.       The hotel ___ a beautiful garden.
9.       I ___ a lot of foreign stamps.
10.    The children ___ funny hats.
11.    She ___a toothache.
12.    We ___ a new principal.
13.    Alice ___ a nice voice.
14.    They ___ an English lesson on Monday.
15.    The apartment ___ 100 rooms.

C.      Change the sentences into the negative. Use the words in brackets. Make necessary changes.
Example:
He has a pen. (I)
I don’t have a pen. / I haven’t got pen. /I have no pen.

1.       I have a book. (a dictionary)
2.       Jill has a brother. (Brenda)
3.       Their house has a swimming pool. (our house)
4.       An elephant has a trunk. (a horse)
5.       We have enough food for everybody. (they)
6.       This hotel has a swimming pool. (that hotel)
7.       You have much time. (I)
8.       You have a motorcycle. (Andrew)
9.       I have a tape recorder. (a CD player)
10.    The house has a garden. (a garage)
11.    We have an English lesson on Monday. (Tuesday)
12.    Our school has a tennis court. (a golf course)
13.    Goats have horn. (horses)
14.    A tiger has paws. ( a deer)
15.    His house has a garden. (my house)

D.      Change the sentences into Yes – No Questions.
Example:
They have a new car.
Do they have a new car?
Have they a new car?
Have they got a new car?

1.       Alice has a beautiful ring.
2.       You have a pencil.
3.       They have a garden.
4.       A deer has a tail.
5.       Mr. Brown has two children.
6.       They have a new TV set.
7.       Jill has a pretty dress.
8.       You have a dictionary.
9.       Mrs. Green has a new baby.
10.     The man has a pointed nose.

E.      Mr. and Mrs. Johnson want to sell their house. Say things about the house using a form of BE and HAVE.
Example:
a. house – 200 years old
    The house is 200 years old.
b. all rooms – central heating
    All rooms have central heating.

1.       garden – lovely
2.       views to the north and east – beautiful
3.       house – six bedrooms
4.       rooms – large
5.       downstairs rooms – carpets
6.       sitting room – lovely old fireplace
7.       kitchen – plenty of cupboards
8.       garage – big enough for three cars

F.      A number of people saw a monster in the sea on the south coast of England. One of them was Henry. He’s talking to reporters about it. Put in was, wasn’t, were, weren’t, had or didn’t have.
Reporter

Henry



Reporter
Henry




Reporter
Henry

: What happened? Where ___ you?
  And where ___ the monster?
: I ___ here on the beach. I saw the monster in the  water.  Then  it  swam  out  to  sea. It ______ a great shock. It ____ very nice, I can tell you.
: What ___ the monster like?
: Big. It ___ a very large animal. It _____ a large body, but it ______ a small head. Its eyes ___ blue and round. It ____ teeth, but they ____ very big. It ____ any ears.
: Did you take a photo of it?
: I ___ my camera with me, I’m afraid.
  And it ___ very quick. It all happened in a moment.

G.      Make questions so that the underlined words would be the answers. Use question words.
1.       Mr. Suyono has three children.
2.       Andrew has a new camera.
3.       I have a hand phone in my bag.
4.       The new student doesn’t have a textbook.
5.       The hotel has a helipad.
6.       Elephants have trunks.
7.       The dog had four babies.
8.       The house has a garage.
9,       I have many books.
10.     Zayn has a new song.



[Reference:Sesa, Leonardus (2000) English Workbook, Makassar]

No comments:

Post a Comment