Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Correlative Conjunction

Hasil gambar untuk image of correlative conjunction

1.    both ___ and
2.    either ___ or
3.    neither ___ nor
4.    whether ___ or
5.    so ___ that
6.    such ___ that
7.    not only ___ but also
 not only ___ but ___ as well



A.      Study these sentences. Pay special attention to the words in bold.
1.       Rano teaches English. I teach English.
Both Rano and I teach English.
2.       Jack teaches English. Jack teaches French.
Jack teaches both English and French.
3.       You must tell him. I must tell him.
Either you or I must tell him.
4.       James plays soccer. James plays rugby.
James plays either soccer or rugby.
5.       Alice doesn’t speak German. I do not speak German.
Neither Alice nor I speak German.
6.       My sister cannot speak German. My sister cannot speak French.
My sister can neither speak German nor French.
7.       He was very angry. He couldn’t say a word.
He was so angry that he couldn’t say a word.
8.       There were many beautiful dresses. She couldn’t decide which one to buy.
There were so many beautiful dresses that she couldn’t decide which one to buy.
9.       It was a beautiful painting. Many people wanted to buy it.
It was such a beautiful painting that many people wanted to buy it.
10.    You must wash the dishes. You must mop the floor.
You must not only wash the dishes but also mop the floor.
You must not only wash the dishes but mop the floor as well.
11.    Whether it rains or not I will go to the meeting.

B.    Join each pair of sentences, using the correlative conjunctions in brackets. Make necessary changes.
1.  The woman spoke very slowly. The woman spoke very clearly. (not only __ but __ as well)
2.  It was a sunny day. I decided to go hiking. (such __ that)
3.  The foreigner did not speak slowly. The foreigner did not speak clearly. (neither __ nor)
4.  I was very tired. I didn’t wake up until noon. (so __ that)
5.  My classmates went on holiday. I went on holiday. (Both __ and)
6.  The man must be mad. The man must be very wise. (either __ or)
7.  The man robbed the old woman. The man killed the old woman. (not only __ but also)
8.  We got very tired. We got very hungry. (not only __ but __as well)
9.  My sister went shopping. I went shopping. (Both __ and)
10.My friend didn’t go to the party. I didn’t go to the party. (neither __ nor)
11 Mr. Smith is a kind doctor. Many people go to him for treatment. (such ___ that)
12.The man is very rich. He goes to work by helicopter. ( so __ that)
13.The engine was worn out. The engine was full of sawdust. (not only __ but __ as well)
14.I had made a mistake. I had criticized his work. (not only __ but also)
15.I had not eaten anything for thirteen hours. I had not drunk anything for thirteen hours. (neither __ nor)
16. Thieves can be very daring. Thieves can be very timid. (either __ or)
17.  The doctor burst out laughing. The patient burst out laughing. (Both __ and)
18. My father cannot play badminton. My father cannot play tennis. (neither __ nor)
19. You may watch TV. You may listen to music. (either __ or)
20. It is an interesting place. Many people visit it. (such __ that)
21.  My brother is not interested in fishing. My brother is not interested in traveling. (neither __ nor)
22. The thief gave back the money. The thief paid for the window he had broken. (not only __ but also)
23. The actress has too many dresses. The actress has too many shoes. (not only __ but __ as well)
24. The boy cannot read. The boy cannot write. (neither __ nor)
25. Bob doesn’t like jazz music. His parents don’t like jazz music. (neither __ nor)
26. My sisters don’t like classical music. I don’t like classical music. (neither __ nor)
27. I am not sure whether the man is a doctor. I am not sure whether the man is a lawyer. (whether __ or)
28. The beggar was very hungry. He ate three pate of rice greedily. (so __ that)
29. He is a rude person. Nobody wants to talk to him. ( such __ that)
30. My friends didn’t talk to the manager. I didn’t talk to the manager. (neither __ nor)
31. John plays the guitar. John plays the piano. (either __ or)
32. I bought a pen yesterday. I bought a book yesterday. (not only __ but __ as well)
33. The safe was very heavy. We needed ten people to move it into the corner. (so __ that)
34. The man is not an artist. The woman is not an artist. (neither __ nor)
35. You can read the book here. You can read the book at home. (either __ or)
36. Mr. Anwar is a dentist. His wife is a dentist. (both __ and)
37. My father doesn’t want to go to the party. My mother doesn’t want to go to the party. (neither __ nor)
38. It was very cold. I had to put on my thick coat. (so __ that)
39. It was a boring match. Most people left before the match was over. (such __ that) 


[Reference: Sesa, Leonardus (2000) English Workbook, Makassar]

1 comment:

  1. Undoubtedly your blog is beneficial for many English learners. The way you share such considerable content making it easy for the learners to absorb is noteworthy. Keep up with this tremendous work.
    English practice App | English with experts

    ReplyDelete